Ok so here are some tests I carried out with better proof of what is going on. Excuse me for my previous post, as I am still experimenting with settings etc..

These are my server settings for the streaming section:

<max_delay_millis>33</max_delay_millis>
<default_keepalive_millis>5000</default_keepalive_millis>
<min_keepalive_millis>1000</min_keepalive_millis>
<max_keepalive_millis>30000</max_keepalive_millis>

and these are my settings for the Smart Polling section:

<max_polling_millis>0</max_polling_millis>
<max_idle_millis>30000</max_idle_millis>
<min_interpoll_millis>0</min_interpoll_millis>

I first listened to the data adapter using WS-STREAMING connection which I set to send a message every 33 ms. Then I used wireshark to check what the server is sending to the client using this filtering query:

ip.src == { SERVER IP } and ip.addr == { CLIENT IP} and tcp.port == 8080 and frame.time >= "May 28, 2012 19:20:00" and frame.time <= "May 28, 2012 19:21:00"

That means that I filtered for all messages sent on port 8080 in 1 minute time range. I was expecting to get 1800 packets sent from server to client, since I am sending at a 33ms interval, so that should be 30.3 msgs/s * 60seconds = ~1800. Instead I got 1700packets which is 28.3 msgs/second. That is pretty close to what I was expecting and it actually is a very good performance.

The exact same test was done again using HTTP-POLLING forced connection instead. The result was 742 replies in one minute, hence 12.36 message per second.

Am I right in assuming that the request limit for polling is 12.36 messages per second on my computer environment? I'm pretty sure websockets could keep going up